Community Supports FAQs

What is In-Home & Community Support?

In-Home and Community Support consists of services designed to assist individuals in acquiring, retaining, and improving the self-help, socialization, and adaptive skills necessary to reside successfully in home and community-based settings. Services are provided at a staff to client ratio of 1:1, or in a small group opportunity that has a staff to client ratio of greater than 1:1 and less than 1:3.

What types of activities do participants take part in?

Activities can range from teaching a person to safely utilize public transportation or learning to cook, to volunteering in community programs. Individuals are provided with the opportunity to help establish the activities of their own program, making it individualized and focused on their goals of moving towards independence.

Employment Services FAQs

What is Paid-Work Training (PWTE)?

PWTE is employment support in the form of a transitional job, where the participant receives intensive on-site job coach support and supervision for a period of up to 6 months before independently entering the workforce.

Will I be receiving a paycheck?

Yes. Participants enrolled in this program will receive minimum wage for their work and will receive assistance, if desired, in using this money to pay off fines and other potential bills in an effort to ease their transition into the workforce.

What types of skills will I learn in this training?

Staff will work with the participants to address communication skills, worksite conflict, appropriate behavior, and other barriers that may hinder job retention. You’ll have an opportunity to participate in classes that will help prepare you for a permanent job placement.

What kind of classes are offered?

Classes are offered on topics such as: financial literacy, Microsoft computer applications, job acquisition and retention skills, and self-advocacy.

What if I don’t find a job after the 6-month training?

The duration of support through this program can extend up to 6 months, at which point, if an outside job placement has not yet been secured, the individual will be re-assessed for continued appropriate vocational support.

How can I enroll in this service?

For more information about our Paid Work Training Experience, please contact:

Traci Hughes at 724-378-4750 ext.1239.

Recovery Services FAQs

What is Psych Rehab?

Psych Rehab promotes recovery, full community integration and improved quality of life for persons who have been diagnosed with any mental health condition that seriously impairs their ability to lead meaningful lives.  PR services are collaborative, person directed and individualized.  They focus on helping individuals develop skills and access resources needed to increase their capacity to be successful and satisfied in the living, learning, working, and social environments of their choice. (Source: Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association)

Who can attend?

Individuals must be 18 years or older and have a MH diagnosis.

Why should I attend?

PR is a voluntary addition to one’s recovery plan.  Participation promotes increased self-confidence in the ability to take the “next step”, whether that is employment, education, or a more desirable living situation.

How can I start services?

An Aurora recommendation letter that is completed by a licensed professional of the healing arts (Psychiatrist, Physician, Psychologist, Physician Assistant, or CRNP) must be completed and sent to Aurora to start the intake process.

What should I expect from services?

An opportunity to develop skills and meet empathetic and supportive individuals.

What transportation is available?

DART is available for free to those who qualify.  Aurora is conveniently located on the bus line and bus tickets are available at no cost to the participant.

What is a typical day like?

A variety of goal related classes are offered.  Each class is generally one hour in length. Please refer to the Class Schedule to see current course offerings.

What is Peer Support?

Peer Support services are specialized therapeutic interactions conducted by trained professionals, with oversight by a mental health professional. Meetings with a peer specialist can take place in the setting that is most conducive to working on one’s goals.

How can I begin to receive this service?

Individuals must be 18 years or older and have a MH diagnosis.  An Aurora recommendation letter that is completed by a licensed professional of the healing arts (Psychiatrist, Physician, Psychologist, Physician Assistant, or CRNP) must be completed and sent to Aurora to start the intake process.

Youth Services FAQs

What is School to Work (STW)?

The School to Work Transition Program provides students between the ages of 14 through 21 an opportunity to learn about their interests, strengths, preferences and needs in order to prepare for life after high school. The School to Work Program focuses on employment, post-secondary education and training opportunities, and community living.

How can I enroll in STW?

Families, students, or other agency supports should contact the school district to discuss this option for transition services. Students under 18 need to obtain a work permit. Intake, tour and paperwork need completed before services can begin. There is rolling enrollment into this program.

Who is eligible for this service?

Students between the ages of 14 through 21 who have an IEP or 504 plan are eligible for these services.

How many days a week is this program offered?

Programming is tailored to the student’s needs allowing for flexible scheduling to accommodate in school classes, CTC or other program involvement. A four-week Extended School Year (ESY) program is available during the summer.

Is transportation provided?

The student’s school district will provide transportation to and from BCRC.

How is progress tracked?

Quarterly reports are provided to the school to document the student’s progress. 

What will my student do after he graduates?

BCRC’s School to Work program helps the student and family connect to services that may be useful as an adult including the Beaver County Behavioral Health (BCBH) office and the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR).  Students can transfer to BCRC’s facility based adult program or can work with our Supported Employment department to help find a job in the community.  We will also refer the student to other community services that may be useful.

How can I receive more information on this program?

Please contact Maureen Hawk, Supervisor of Youth Services at mhawk@bcrcinc.net for additional information or call 724-378-4750.

What is P.E.T.S.?

Pre-Employment Transition Services (P.E.T.S.) is a program provided to strengthen the transition process from high school to a career. Students enrolled in P.E.T.S. can receive group services, individual services, or a combination of both.

Who is eligible for these services?

Students between the ages of 14-21, in school districts throughout Beaver County.

What is the difference between group and individual P.E.T.S.?

Group services give you an opportunity to explore a variety of employment options. This service includes classroom instruction on independent living skills, self-advocacy, and workplace readiness. These topics are introduced on a rotation throughout the school year and are offered weekly at participating school districts. Our experienced instructors and a cutting-edge curriculum ensure students are provided with the highest quality of service.

Individual services include job shadowing opportunities and short-term work-based learning experiences for students age 16-21 and enrolled in school. Job shadowing is a non-paid and observational experience at jobs that are of interest to the student. A Work-Based Learning Experience (WBLE), is a 90-hour paid internship that is based on the interests and skills of the student.

How can I enroll in services?

Students interested in P.E.T.S. should contact their high school transition coordinator.

How can I receive more information on the P.E.T.S. program?

For additional information on group services, please contact: Magic Sentz at 724-775-0415 ext.3201.

For additional information on individual services, please contact: Sheila Silbaugh at 724-775-0415 ext.3101.